Thursday, January 16, 2014

Cherry Cobbler: Book 2 of the Blackberry County Chronicles

I have a friend who offered this audio-book to me for free, I asked if I might be able to do a review of it on my blog.  All thoughts and opinions on this book are completely my own and will always be honest.  I can never be paid or offered something for free just to garner a good review from me, just so that you know.

(From Audible Website)
The Publisher's description:  
Quirky, funny, lighthearted Cherry is starting to panic. She's pushing 30 and has a bit of a weight problem. But most of all, she is looking for love in all the wrong places. For her, the wrong place is thinking she could handle missionary life with a young Indiana Jones look alike. Her complete failure to understand herself unfolds as she realizes the treasure she has been missing is right under her nose.



My Thoughts:
Cherry is going through the awkwardness of finding a partner in life and ministry.  I really liked Cherry, the character is not only beleiveable, but I felt alot like her in my early to mid-twenties.  Most fo my friends married young and were popping up babies all around me.  Cherry is rather likable, though there are times I wanted to shake her a little bit, her flaws & quarks and other aspects of her nature or personality was not far fetched at all.  In fact, the world that Ms. Reardon creates seems like a familiar place, like I have been there before.  I felt that in particular the author did a very good job fleshing out the male characters which si not always the case for Christian fiction I am sad to say.

One of the things that I really liked about this book is the fact that it did not trivialize the feelings of those who want to settle down, have a family and that they need someone following after God's ways to do so.  This book does come from a Christian world-view so there are some aspects to relationships that the main character expresses that is within that moral sphere.

I ran the gamete of emotions while listening to this audio-book.  There was a great deal of laughter, amusement and misty-eyed moments on my part which led me to thoroughly enjoy this book.  When the last page was read to me, i felt satisfied and happy at the conclusion.  I did not feel that the end was tacked on a reader had said on a kindle review of this book, I rather thought that one could look back and see the path the author was taking you on, even if it may have been a surprise to some readers.  I would recommend this book in either visual or audio format.  I especially liked the audio format as it allowed me to listen while I worked on some chores around the house as well as listening during my sewing work I had on my desk to do.  I really liked the voices used  for each character.

I already have a copy of the first book in the series that I plan to go back to, but I think this book might be able to stand on its own. 

*\0/* Cheers
Shanna
PS- You can find the kindle version HERE or the Audiobook version HERE if you are interested in picking up a copy yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers!